Friday, March 25, 2011

well, at least one of us is being creative

I was going to title this that one of us is being productive, but that's not quite right. See, we're both being plenty productive, it's just that I'm being productive at workworkworkworkwork and Leah is being productive in other ways, creative ways, handcrafting ways.

Since we got back from vacation over three weeks ago, I have knit for a grand total of 45 minutes on a scarf for my sister, while at the MIT thing with the kids two weeks ago. :::sigh::: But I'm happy for the work and the new kitchen it's buying us, so no pity party for me. Let's see what the Goob's making, shall we?


With no less than three hoop-skirted 19th century gowns-in-progress in her room right now, this week she put the finishing touches on one! Velvet from the most awesome barter evah. Braided trim from another excellent barter. Muslin from our scrap stash. Vintage buttons and cameo pin from my Gram's house. Sewn entirely by hand. Total cash outlay for this dress: $5 for pattern. Sense of satisfaction: Priceless.

Otherwise, my girl's a happy hooker, having caught the crochet bug. She dug around in the scrap yarns recently, picked up a good audiobook at the library, and emerged from her room a while later with a rainbow bunting to string merrily across the walls of her room.

So, that's that. I gots nothin' of my own to show you. When I'm not working, I'm out walkingwalkingwalking, loving the fresh air and daylight. Reminds me of similar comments on a blog post from exactly a year ago.

As a matter of fact, I managed to arrange a Whole Day Off (almost as rare as knitting time lately) for myself tomorrow and I'm going to pop down to NYC to do a fair bit of walking there. Don't look now, but somewhere along the line, the exercise (walking and a variety of other activities) became enjoyable, something I look forward to every single day and get grumpy about if it doesn't happen. Srsly. I've heard rumors of such a phenomenon, but never, ever thought it would happen to me.


Now, while the day's work is done and there's still glorious daylight out there, I'm heading out for a few miles. After that, I'll be winding yarn and gathering supplies for a new little traveling project because there will be train time tomorrow and, you know, I am still me.
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger thepaintedsheep said...

you are so, so right about the exercise thing. I joined the Y in January and got hooked fast. now I haven't been able to work out in 2 weeks because a sinus infection/asthma flare up and I'm miserable. I'm itching to work out and pissed that I've missed yoga for 2 weeks. who knew I'd love it so much?

5:31 PM  
Anonymous CTJen said...

I love love love the dress she made! It's just gorgeous. And the bunting is pretty darn awesome too. Now if only I can catch the exercise bug too then maybe I wouldn't be feeling so darn tired. :-\

7:38 PM  
Anonymous random Cindy said...

Beautiful dress. Love that color on Leah.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Rani said...

Well hello, you. And it's very nice to hear from you again. Your daughter is a vision. A talented, amazing girl.

Wish I lived nearby. I would meet up in NYC for a good walk/talk and then I'd absolutely head to Purl SoHo. Just Cuz.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

Leah is amazing! I love seeing her projects. :-)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Lola said...

Oooooh, that is lovely! Can I have her for 2 weeks to sew my dream dress? ;-)

Okay . . . I guess I'll have to get on with my little sewing projects and work my way up to contemporary clothes - once the stuff that have been in my sewing room for months is put away into the newly built bathroom cabinet . . .

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home